[libvirt-users] Using encrypted volumes

Dominik Reusser reusser.mb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 10:46:47 UTC 2019

I was encouraged [1] to use the storage encryption mechanism of libvirt
[2]. However, it is not clear to me how to generate a corresponding
encrypted volume. Preferably, I would like to use virt-install to arrive at
such an encrypted volume, similar to e.g.

virt-install --connect qemu:///system -n testImage  -r 2048 --os-type=linux
--disk testImage.img,device=disk,bus=virtio,size=8,sparse=true,format=raw
--os-variant debian10 --vnc  --location
ftp://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/main/installer-amd64/

I already asked a related question on server fault [3], but this is a
better targeted audience. Sorry for double-posting.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=933385
[2] https://libvirt.org/formatstorageencryption.html#StorageEncryption
[3]
https://serverfault.com/questions/986488/how-to-enable-volumeencryption-during-virt-install