sync guest time

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 12:15:20 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 01:52:12PM +0200, Miguel Duarte de Mora Barroso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing the following issue when attempting to update the guest's
> clock on a running fc32 guest (using guest agent):
>
> ```
> [root at virt-launcher-vmi-masquerade-mh2xm /]# virsh domtime 1 --pretty
> Time: 2020-04-30 23:27:29
> [root at virt-launcher-vmi-masquerade-mh2xm /]# virsh domtime 1 --sync
> error: internal error: unable to execute QEMU agent command
> 'guest-set-time': hwclock failed to set hardware clock to system time

This error is ultimately coming from the QEMU guest agent inside
your guest. It spawns "hwclock" and this is failing for some reason.
You'll probably need to debug this inside the guest - strace the
QEMU guest agent, see where it fails, and then file a bug against
the distro for it.

> # now, this one works.
> [root at virt-launcher-vmi-masquerade-mh2xm /]# virsh domtime 1 --now
>
> [root at virt-launcher-vmi-masquerade-44v2x /]# virsh domtime 1 --pretty
> Time: 2020-04-30 11:15:45

This doesn't run hwclock as its merely reading the current time,.

> Is there any workaround I could try ? Am I doing something wrong here ?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. This just looks like a guest
OS bug to me.

Regards,
Daniel