Installing Kali Linux using KVM virt-install tool

Kaushal Shriyan kaushalshriyan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:43:57 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 1:32 PM Pavel Hrdina <phrdina at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > --extra-args="console=ttyS0
> >
> > Starting install...
> > Retrieving file .treeinfo...
> >
> >                               |    0 B  00:00:00
> > Retrieving file content...
> >
> >                               |    0 B  00:00:00
> > Retrieving file info...
> >
> >                              |  104 B  00:00:00
> > Retrieving file info...
> >
> >                              |  104 B  00:00:00
> > Retrieving file info...
> >
> >                              |  104 B  00:00:00
> > ERROR    Could not find an installable distribution at
> > '/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kali-linux-2020.2-installer-amd64.iso': The URL could
> > not be accessed, maybe you mistyped?
> >
> > The location must be the root directory of an install tree.
> > See virt-install man page for various distro examples.
> > Domain installation does not appear to have been successful.
> > If it was, you can restart your domain by running:
> >   virsh --connect qemu:///system start kalilinux
> > otherwise, please restart your installation.
> >

> > #virt-install --name=kalilinux --file=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kalilinux.img
> > --file-size=50 --nonsparse --vcpu=2 --ram=4096 --network=bridge:br0
> > --os-type=linux --os-variant=debian9 --graphics none
> > --cdrom=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kali-linux-2020.2-installer-amd64.iso
> > --extra-args="console=ttyS0"
> > ERROR    --extra-args only work if specified with --location. See the man
> > page for examples of using --location with CDROM media
> >
> > I did not find kali OS details to provide an option for* --os-variant=
> * When
> > I ran osinfo-query os | grep kali it did not return anything.
> > Any help will be highly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from
> you.
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Hi,
>
> Using --location with ISO image requires specific file to be available
> in the ISO image where virt-install can look to figure out path to linux
> kernel and initrd otherwise it is not able to use --location and
> --extra-args as well.
>
> If you look into virt-install man page in the section for --location you
> can find this example:
>
>     Additionally, --location can take 'kernel' and 'initrd' sub options.
>     These paths relative to the specified location URL/ISO that allow
>     selecting specific files for kernel/initrd within the install tree.
>     This can be useful if virt-install/ libosinfo doesn't know where to
>     find the kernel in the specified --location.
>
>     For example, if you have an ISO that libosinfo doesn't know about
>     called my-unknown.iso, with a kernel at 'kernel/fookernel' and
>     initrd at 'kernel/fooinitrd', you can make this work with:
>
>         --location
> my-unknown.iso,kernel=kernel/fookernel,initrd=kernel/fooinitrd
>

> You can use isoinfo to get the content of your ISO image:
>
>     isoinfo -J -i /path/to/your.iso -f
>
> and use the --location with kernel and initrd parameters which will make
> it work and --extra-args will work as well.

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your email and much appreciated. I have pasted the output here
https://paste.centos.org/view/89952d91

#virt-install --name=kalilinux --file=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kalilinux.img
--file-size=50 --nonsparse --vcpu=2 --ram=4096 --network=bridge:br0
--os-type=linux --os-variant=debian9 --graphics none
--location=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kali-linux-2020.2-installer-amd64.iso
--extra-args="console=ttyS0

--location my-unknown.iso,kernel=kernel/fookernel,initrd=kernel/fooinitrd

--location
kali-linux-2020.2-installer-amd64.iso,kernel=kernel/?,initrd=kernel/?

I did not find kali OS details to provide an option for* --os-variant=  * When
I ran osinfo-query os | grep kali it did not return anything. What should
be the value for --os-variant= as i want to install
kali-linux-2020.2-installer-amd64.iso (https://www.kali.org/downloads/)
using KVM virt-install tool

Thanks once again and I look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards,

Kaushal