virsh attach-interface auto up

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Sun Aug 9 04:15:55 UTC 2020

On 8/8/20 11:26 PM, brent s. wrote:
> On 8/8/20 9:42 AM, Marc Roos wrote:
>>
>> I am doing a virsh detach-interface and an attach-interface. Is it
>> possible to automatically bring the interface up after attaching it?
>>

> By coincidence, I was just playing with this with the python API.
>
> The interface being brought up automatically, if I understand your
> question correctly, depends on the OS of the guest having hotplug
> support for the NIC you have selected for it.
>
> It takes a couple seconds, but I can generally detach and re-attach an
> interface in CentOS Linux, for instance, with only about a 2-5 second
> hiccup in network traffic.

Yes, by default any hotplugged interface will be online when it's
attached. You need to modify the XML of the interface to have it plugged
in with an offline status. If it's not coming up in the guest, then
that's something in the guest OS, not the emulated interface's online
status, and will need to be taken care of in the guest OS.