Question for smbios

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Mon Aug 10 07:46:47 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:49:37AM -0500, David wrote:
> I am reposting this because it's been 2 or 3 weeks.
>
> Hello,
>
> Hopefully this is the right place to send a question like this...
>
> I'm attempting to automate creation of VMs using virt-install and a
> cloud-init disk image. To get this to work, I need to specify the location
> of the cloud-init configs by passing smbios key/value pairs.
>
> Normally, -smbios is provided to qemu to do this. With virt-install, the
> Internet says I should use --sysinfo. However, --sysinfo (as well as
> --qemu-comandline) is reported as an invalid command flag, and it is not
> present when I look at man virt-install and virt-install --help.
>
> I am hoping someone on the list knows why this isn't working or can explain
> how I might provide the arguments to qemu. The host is Debian 9. It is
> up-to-date as far as package versions are concerned, as much as Debian 9
> can be. I can't find any indication about why the arguments would have been
> taken away.

Hi,

Unfortunately for you it was not taken away as it was not introduced in
the old version available in Debian 9. Based on Debian packages there is
virt-manager 1.4.0 which is about 4 years old.

Looking at virt-manager code-base Debian 9 just missed the --sysinfo
and --qemu-commandline arguments as both were introduced in 1.4.1.

I checked that there is no virt-manager in stretch-backports so your
options are probably update to current stable (Debian 10) or get newer
virt-manager from upstream. Just a not to keep in mind, virt-manager
1.5.0 is the last python-2 based version and since virt-manager 2.0.0 we
support only python-3.

Pavel