KVM guest VM IP address

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 09:37:57 UTC 2020

On 8/18/20 9:10 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find out the IP address of the KVM guest virtual machine.
>
> #virsh dumpxml newsoftlinedrupalpoc | grep "mac address" | awk -F\' '{
> print $2}'
> 52:54:00:2c:7e:ff
> [root at baseserver1 ~]# arp -an | grep 52:54:00:2c:7e:ff
>
> [root at baseserver1 ~]# virsh domifaddr newsoftlinedrupalpoc
>   Name       MAC address          Protocol     Address
>
> [root at baseserver1 ~]#
>
> It is not showing anything. I manually configure the IP
> using /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> ONBOOT=yes
> IPADDR=192.168.0.189
> PREFIX=24
> GATEWAY=192.168.0.10
> DNS1=8.8.8.8
> DNS2=8.8.4.4

This is expected. If you use static IP then libvirt spawned dnsmasq is
not involved in any way and thus libvirt doesn't know what IP address
the domain has. And by default, virsh will use '--source lease' which
means libvirt tries to get the info from the dnsmasq (well, some JSON
that dnsmasq is updating, whatever).

You can try '--source agent' if you have a guest agent configured. And
if domain has done some traffic maybe it's still in the host's ARP table
and thus '--source arp' might work too. But I'd say this is the least
reliable way because entries in the ARP table time out.

Michal