Meson build

Toolybird toolybird at tuta.io
Sun Aug 30 00:34:56 UTC 2020

Hi,

Just a heads up on my experiences with the new build system.

Arch Linux
meson-0.55.1

Overall, it looks good, so well done!

Just a couple of minor things I noted:

1. Arch uses a meson wrapper script (arch-meson) that sets:

  --buildtype plain

This seems to trigger a bug in meson that results in copious bogus compiler warnings:

cc1: warning: ‘-Wformat-y2k’ ignored without ‘-Wformat’ [-Wformat-y2k]
cc1: warning: ‘-Wformat-extra-args’ ignored without ‘-Wformat’ [-Wformat-extra-args]
cc1: warning: ‘-Wformat-zero-length’ ignored without ‘-Wformat’ [-Wformat-zero-length]
cc1: warning: ‘-Wformat-contains-nul’ ignored without ‘-Wformat’ [-Wformat-contains-nul]
cc1: warning: ‘-Wformat-security’ ignored without ‘-Wformat’ [-Wformat-security]

which of course breaks -Werror builds.

I can easily work around it by setting `-D git_werror=disabled' or even better still:

CFLAGS+=" -Wall" arch-meson...

Maybe this github issue is related?:

https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/7399

2. Arch currently builds libvirt with support for ZFS. Seeing as ZFS is not in the distro proper, a simple Autoconf tweak is used:

ZFS=/usr/bin/zfs ZPOOL=/usr/bin/zpool \
./configure ...

This is surprisingly hard to emulate with meson, in fact it appears impossible, unless I resort to dodgy hacks with sed etc.

Cheers