Installing Kali Linux as Guest OS in KVM Hypervisor

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Fri Dec 11 20:06:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 09:58:26PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have run the below command to install Kali Linux using
>linux-2020.4-installer-amd64.iso from https://www.kali.org/downloads/
>
>#virt-install --name kalilinux --memory 4096 --vcpus=2
>--location=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kali-linux-2020.4-installer-amd64.iso,kernel=install.amd/gtk/vmlinuz,initrd=install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
>--network=bridge:br0 --os-type=linux --os-variant=debian9 --graphics=none
>--extra-args "console=ttyS0" -v --disk
>path=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kalilinux.img,size=50
>
>I am not able to get the root login prompt when I run the below command to
>set IP and hostname for the guest OS. Am I missing any parameters from the
>above virt-install command to install Kali Linux as Guest OS in KVM
>Hypervisor?

I'm not sure why you need to set the IP address.  Are you running a network with
static IPs, without DHCP?  As I cannot see where br0 is connected I can't guess
more than that.  You can use Michal's approach if you use the default libvirt
network, though.

>#virsh console kalilinux
>Connected to domain kalilinux
>Escape character is ^]

You might be connected at this point.  It's just that the guest sent the "login:
" prompt before you connected.  Try pressing enter at this point to see whether
there's something listening on the serial console.  If it's not, then I wonder
where it would listen, given the --graphics=none.

There are ways to modify the guest image. Easiest thing might be to use
virt-customize.  But I truly believe you have a working system and all you need
to do is write the username and press enter.  In the end it will look like this:

I'm trying to reproduce the install right now with comparable command-line, but
it's getting stuck on something unrelated.  If I manage to get it to work I will
let you know what I found.