[CFP] Virtualization & IaaS Devroom

Piotr Kliczewski pkliczew at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 17:45:00 UTC 2020

We are excited to announce that the call for proposals is now open for the
Virtualization & IaaS devroom at the upcoming FOSDEM 2021, to be hosted
virtually on February 6th 2021.

This year will mark FOSDEM’s 21th anniversary as one of the longest-running
free and open source software developer events, attracting thousands of
developers and users from all over the world. Due to Covid-19, FOSDEM will
be held virtually this year on February 6th & 7th, 2021.

About the Devroom

The Virtualization & IaaS devroom will feature session topics such as open
source hypervisors and virtual machine managers such as Xen Project, KVM,
bhyve, and VirtualBox, and Infrastructure-as-a-Service projects such as
KubeVirt, Apache CloudStack, Foreman, OpenStack, oVirt, QEMU and OpenNebula.

This devroom will host presentations that focus on topics of shared
interest, such as KVM; libvirt; shared storage; virtualized networking;
cloud security; clustering and high availability; interfacing with multiple
hypervisors; hyperconverged deployments; and scaling across hundreds or
thousands of servers.

Presentations in this devroom will be aimed at users or developers working
on these platforms who are looking to collaborate and improve shared
infrastructure or solve common problems. We seek topics that encourage
dialog between projects and continued work post-FOSDEM.

Important Dates

Submission deadline: 20th of December

Acceptance notifications: 25th of December

Final schedule announcement: 31st of December

Recorded presentations upload deadline: 15th of January

Devroom: 6th February 2021

Submit Your Proposal

All submissions must be made via the Pentabarf event planning site[1]. If
you have not used Pentabarf before, you will need to create an account. If
you submitted proposals for FOSDEM in previous years, you can use your
existing account.

After creating the account, select Create Event to start the submission
process. Make sure to select Virtualization and IaaS devroom from the Track
list. Please fill out all the required fields, and provide a meaningful
abstract and description of your proposed session.

Submission Guidelines

We expect more proposals than we can possibly accept, so it is vitally
important that you submit your proposal on or before the deadline. Late
submissions are unlikely to be considered.

All presentation slots are 30 minutes, with 20 minutes planned for
presentations, and 10 minutes for Q&A.

All presentations will need to be pre-recorded and put into our system at
least a couple of weeks before the event.

The presentations should be uploaded by 15th of January and made available
under Creative

Commons licenses. In the Submission notes field, please indicate that you
agree that your presentation will be licensed under the CC-By-SA-4.0 or
CC-By-4.0 license and that you agree to have your presentation recorded.
For example:

"If my presentation is accepted for FOSDEM, I hereby agree to license all
recordings, slides, and other associated materials under the Creative
Commons Attribution Share-Alike 4.0 International License. Sincerely,
<NAME>."

In the Submission notes field, please also confirm that if your talk is
accepted, you will be able to attend the virtual FOSDEM event for the Q&A.
We will not consider proposals from prospective speakers who are unsure
whether they will be able to attend the FOSDEM virtual event.

If you are experiencing problems with Pentabarf, the proposal submission
interface, or have other questions, you can email our devroom mailing
list[2] and we will try to help you.

Code of Conduct

Following the release of the updated code of conduct for FOSDEM, we'd like
to remind all speakers and attendees that all of the presentations and
discussions in our devroom are held under the guidelines set in the CoC and
we expect attendees, speakers, and volunteers to follow the CoC at all
times.

If you submit a proposal and it is accepted, you will be required to
confirm that you accept the FOSDEM CoC. If you have any questions about the
CoC or wish to have one of the devroom organizers review your presentation
slides or any other content for CoC compliance, please email us and we will
do our best to assist you.

Call for Volunteers

We are also looking for volunteers to help run the devroom. We need
assistance with helping speakers to record the presentation as well as
helping with streaming and chat moderation for the devroom. Please contact
devroom mailing list [2] for more information.

Questions?

If you have any questions about this devroom, please send your questions to
our devroom mailing list. You can also subscribe to the list to receive
updates about important dates, session announcements, and to connect with
other attendees.

See you all at FOSDEM!

[1] <https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM17>https://penta.fosdem
.org/submission/FOSDEM21