Installing Kali Linux as Guest OS in KVM Hypervisor

Kaushal Shriyan kaushalshriyan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 17:26:59 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 8:54 PM Erik Skultety <eskultet at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 06:15:55PM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> > On 12/1/20 5:28 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have run the below command to install Kali Linux using
> > > linux-2020.4-installer-amd64.iso from https://www.kali.org/downloads/
> > >
> > > #virt-install --name kalilinux --memory 4096 --vcpus=2
> > >
> --location=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kali-linux-2020.4-installer-amd64.iso,kernel=install.amd/gtk/vmlinuz,initrd=install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
> > > --network=bridge:br0 --os-type=linux --os-variant=debian9
> --graphics=none
> > > --extra-args "console=ttyS0" -v --disk
> > > path=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kalilinux.img,size=50
> > >
> > > I am not able to get the root login prompt when I run the below
> command to
> > > set IP and hostname for the guest OS. Am I missing any parameters from
> the
> > > above virt-install command to install Kali Linux as Guest OS in KVM
> > > Hypervisor?
> > >

> > Just a hunch, maybe --extra-args work only for installation and are not
> > persistent? I guess installer doesn't persist kernel cmd line passed in
>
> Exactly, --extra-args is just for convenience of not having to edit the
> kernel
> cmdline manually when the serial console/GUI window opens with grub.
>
> Erik

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your reply.  I am not sure if I completely understand it. Is
there an issue in the below command? Do I need to remove --extra-args
"console=ttyS0" in the below command to have ssh console access to the KVM
Guest VM? Please suggest.

#virt-install --name kalilinux --memory 4096 --vcpus=2
--location=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kali-linux-2020.4-installer-amd64.iso,kernel=install.amd/gtk/vmlinuz,initrd=install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
--network=bridge:br0 --os-type=linux --os-variant=debian9 --graphics=none
--extra-args "console=ttyS0" -v --disk
path=/linuxkvmaddgbdisk/kalilinux.img,size=50

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal