[resent] virt-manager connection fails with 'qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor'

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Sun Dec 20 18:37:43 UTC 2020

On 12/20/20 6:53 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I recently ran into a problem when connecting to libvirtd 6.9.0 on Debian unstable
> and trying to import an existing image with Windows 7.
>
> Upon finishing the wizard and starting the instance, the import process fails
> with the following error message:
>
> Unable to complete install: 'internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor'
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 65, in cb_wrapper
>      callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
>    File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/createvm.py", line 2081, in _do_async_install
>      installer.start_install(guest, meter=meter)
>    File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/install/installer.py", line 731, in start_install
>      domain = self._create_guest(
>    File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/install/installer.py", line 679, in _create_guest
>      domain = self.conn.createXML(install_xml or final_xml, 0)
>    File "/usr/lib64/python3.8/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 4366, in createXML
>      raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateXML() failed')
> libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor
>
> Since this error message is rather generic, I don't know where to start debugging.
>
> Does anyone know how to increase verbosity here to get an error message that might be
> more helpful?

The first step would be to look in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$guestname.log.
If qemu is encountering some error, it should be logging a message there
before it exits. (unless the error is a segfault; in that case I guess
you'll need to look for a coredump. It will also list exactly the qemu
commandline that was used. If the message there isn't illuminating
enough and you come back here, it would be helpful to "bring along" that
qemu commandline (and any accompanying error) as well as the output of
"virsh dumpxml $guestname"