libvirtError: Timed out during operation: cannot acquire state change lock (held by monitor=remoteDispatchDomainMigratePerform3Params)

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Fri Feb 28 06:49:00 UTC 2020

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 18:28:44 -0700, Blake Anderson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have a question that you may be able to help me with. I had a live block migration of a qemu-kvm guest fail (initiated via nova), in which the guest remained running on the source, but if I try to re-initiate the live migration it returns libvirtError: Timed out during operation: cannot acquire state change lock (held by monitor=remoteDispatchDomainMigratePerform3Params). Looking at blockjob --info I see there is a block copy that has been stuck at 23 % for a few hours now. Is it safe to issue a —abort to the blockjob without impacting the vm and will that resolve the lock?

The domain job lock is held by the whole migration API not just the
blockjob. Aborting the blockjob or the migration thus should have the
same results after everything cleans up since the failed blockjob should
trigger abort of the whole migration anyways. So either of these should
do the trick:

virsh blockjob --abort $VM $DISK

virsh domjobabort $VM

Aborting a migration is safe, everything should just continue running at
the source.