problems with understanding of the memory parameters in the xml file

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Tue Feb 11 17:48:43 UTC 2020

Hi guys,

despite reading hours and hours in the internet i'm still struggling with
"memory", "currentmemory" and "maxMemory".

Maybe you can help me to sort it out.

My idea is that a guest has an initial value of memory (which "memory" seems to be) when booting.
We have some Windows 10 guests which calculate some stuff and i would like to increase memory during runtime
until it reaches a fixed maximum value.
My hope was that a higher "maxMemory" could solve this, that the guest claims more memory and gets it.
I didn't get it. Is my idea wrong ? Do i need a balloon driver for that ?
What i find concerning ballooning is that it doesn't work automatically but has to be adjusted
manually. Is that right ?
Balloon drivers for windows are available.

Is my idea right, does that work basically ? If yes how do i have to set the parameters ?
Is the memory released after the guest has e.g. finished his calculation ?
Does that work automatically or do i have to adjust that manually ?

Thanks.

Bernd

--

Bernd Lentes
Systemadministration
bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
phone: +49 89 3187 3827
fax: +49 89 3187 2294
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/mcd

Perfekt ist wer keine Fehler macht
Also sind Tote perfekt
Helmholtz Zentrum München

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir.in Prof. Dr. Veronika von Messling
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Matthias Tschoep, Kerstin Guenther
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671