ERROR Could not find an installable distribution at ....

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Fri Feb 14 09:42:33 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-02-13 at 22:46 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up alpine Linux Guest OS using the below command
>
> #virt-install --name=mfecdrupalalphine --file=/linuxkvmguestosdisk/var/lib/libvirt/images/mfecdrupalalphine.img --file-size=100 --nonsparse --vcpus=2 --ram=6096 --network=bridge:br0 --os-type=linux --os-variant=alpinelinux3.8 --graphics none --location=/linuxkvmguestosdisk/var/lib/libvirt/isos/alpine-standard-3.11.3-x86_64.iso --extra-args="console=ttyS0"
>
> Starting install...
> Retrieving file .treeinfo...                                                                                                                                                         |    0 B  00:00:00
> Retrieving file content...                                                                                                                                                           |    0 B  00:00:00
> ERROR    Could not find an installable distribution at '/linuxkvmguestosdisk/var/lib/libvirt/isos/alpine-standard-3.11.3-x86_64.iso': The URL could not be accessed, maybe you mistyped?
>
> The location must be the root directory of an install tree.
> See virt-install man page for various distro examples.

The --location option is used when installing from a tree, which is
usually a URL like

  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-amd64/

Since you're installing from a local .iso image, you need to use
the --cdrom option instead.

That won't work with --extra-args, but luckily the Alpine installer
is smart enough to figure out that there's no graphical console
connected to the guest and use ttyS0 automatically :)