Possible to use OVN networking and virtio simultaneously in the same VM?

Andre Goree agoree at staff.atlantic.net
Fri Feb 14 19:04:34 UTC 2020

I wanted to know if it's possible to use OVN networking and virtio simultaneously in the same VM?  Or am I wasting my time trying to get it to work?

When I try to define a VM and power it on with both types defined, networking fails to work on both.  E.g.:

    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'/>
      <source bridge='foo'/>
      <virtualport type='openvswitch'>
      </virtualport>
      <target dev='devfoo'/>
    </interface>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'/>
      <source bridge='bar'/>
      <virtualport type='openvswitch'>
      </virtualport>
      <target dev='devbar'/>
    </interface>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx/>
      <source bridge='foo2'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <target dev='devfoo2/>
    </interface>

Notice the 'virtio' setting on the third NIC.  If I remove that NIC from the xml or if set that NIC as a virtualport on openvswitch like the other two NICs, networking works fine.

Am I missing something?  Or is this a silly question to even ask?