guest-fsfreeze-freeze freezes all mounted block devices

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 09:19:13 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 10:03:27 +0100, Marc Roos wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Should I assume that the virsh domfsfreeze, does not require the
> qemu-agent service in the guest?

No. That's the official way how to drive the "guest-fsfreeze-freeze"
agent command via libvirt, thus you must have the guest agent the same
way as you used it before.

Using qemu-agent-command is a backdoor for testing arbitrary commands
and thus you can break things. You are on your own if stuff breaks using
that approach.

> PS. I couldn't find the result. Afaik it looks like it is returning the
> amount of frozen/thawed filesystem's

qemu.git/gqa/qapi-schema.json says:

##
# @guest-fsfreeze-freeze:
#
# Sync and freeze all freezable, local guest filesystems. If this
# command succeeded, you may call @guest-fsfreeze-thaw later to
# unfreeze.
#
# Note: On Windows, the command is implemented with the help of a
# Volume Shadow-copy Service DLL helper. The frozen state is limited
# for up to 10 seconds by VSS.
#
# Returns: Number of file systems currently frozen. On error, all filesystems
# will be thawed. If no filesystems are frozen as a result of this call,
# then @guest-fsfreeze-status will remain "thawed" and calling
# @guest-fsfreeze-thaw is not necessary.
#
# Since: 0.15.0

You might also want to have a look at 'guest-fsfreeze-freeze-list'.

As a side note. For snapshotting via virsh snapshot-create use the
--quiesce option which does what you want or the virsh command with
arguments if you don't want to freeze everything.