Bridge-less VM

Rob Roschewsk pabutusa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 18:16:23 UTC 2020

I'm trying to create a free standing VM that doesn't connect to a bridge.

This is supposedly do able according to the WIKI:
https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsNICSEthernet

But with a config similar to:

  <interface type='ethernet'>
    <target dev='mytap1' managed='no'/>
    <model type='virtio'/>
  </interface>

When starting the domain I get the error:
error: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor:
2020-01-16T18:08:04.788860Z qemu-system-x86_64: -netdev
tap,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=26: could not open /dev/net/tun: Operation
not permitted

Checked permissions on /dev/net/tunand it's 666

If I just configure it as a "bridge" connection the domain starts. Then I
can use brctl to remove it from the bridge to get what I want. That just
proves it possible but with extra steps (Shout out to Rick and Morty)

Thoughts??
Running Ubuntu 16.04.1 Kernel 4.15.0-74
libvirt 1.3.1-1ubuntu10.27
qemu 1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.41