virt-install missing parameters

David hesperaux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 21:52:43 UTC 2020

Hello,

Hopefully this is the right place to send a question like this...

I'm attempting to automate creation of VMs using virt-install and a
cloud-init disk image. To get this to work, I need to specify the location
of the cloud-init configs by passing smbios key/value pairs.

Normally, -smbios is provided to qemu to do this. With virt-install, the
Internet says I should use --sysinfo. However, --sysinfo (as well as
--qemu-comandline) is reported as an invalid command flag, and it is not
present when I look at man virt-install and virt-install --help.

I am hoping someone on the list knows why this isn't working or can explain
how I might provide the arguments to qemu. The host is Debian 9. It is
up-to-date as far as package versions are concerned, as much as Debian 9
can be. I can't find any indication about why the arguments would have been
taken away.

Thanks!