libvirt-defined network vs/and openvswitch bridge

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Jun 1 11:21:51 UTC 2020

On 5/31/20 6:33 AM, Po Dragonwarrior wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can you please explain to me what is the difference (or maybe the
> relation?)  between a libvirt defined network and an openvswitch bridge?

Hey,

it's the same relationship as is between domain and QEMU.
A libvirt network is front, user facing end. Depending on the
configuration, different back ends can be used. OpenVSwitch is just one
of such back ends. Traditional virtual linux bridge is another one.

Perhaps, if you'd share more context then I could answer more appropriately.

Michal