Virtio-disk with driver from Microsoft from 2006 ?

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Wed Mar 4 18:50:42 UTC 2020

Hi,

i wanted to benchmark a windows guest, compare standard driver and virtio driver.
I installed the domain first with an IDE disk.
I followed https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Paravirtualized_Block_Drivers_for_Windows to install the virtIO driver.
In the device manager my VirtIO disk is recognized as a VirtIO SCSI disk from RedHat which seems ok for me.
But the driver is, following the device manager, a driver from Microsft from 21/06/2006, version 10.0.18362.1.
That's strange in my eyes. This driver is outdated and not from RedHat or Fedora, what i expected.
Also updating the driver and pointing to the CD, even the respective folder, didn't work.
It says the driver is the most recent.
I used the virtIO-ISO 0.1.173, Windows 10 64bit Edition 1903.

Bernd

--

Bernd Lentes
Systemadministration
bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
phone: +49 89 3187 3827
fax: +49 89 3187 2294
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/mcd

Perfekt ist wer keine Fehler macht
Also sind Tote perfekt
Helmholtz Zentrum München

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir.in Prof. Dr. Veronika von Messling
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Matthias Tschoep, Kerstin Guenther
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671