Set hostname of guest during installation time

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 16:29:58 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-03-27 at 16:48 +0100, Michal Prívozník wrote:
> On 27. 3. 2020 14:57, john doe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to set the hostname when installing a guest, with the below
> > command the hostname is not set to 'try06' in the guest:
> >
> > virt-install --name=try06 --graphic none --pxe --network bridge=virbr0
>
> This is the name of the guest registered in libvirt. I don't think that
> virt-install has wired up setting hostname, but it looks like it can do
> it. I mean, use --name for both libvirt name and guest hostname.

Note that, while virt-install might be modified to automatically set
the hostname in cases where it has full control of the installation
process (--unattended), in the general case the user is performing
the installation steps themselves in the context of the guest and
virt-install has no way of knowing, or influencing, what happens
there.