Masking out the Protected Processor Identification Number

procmem at riseup.net procmem at riseup.net
Sat Mar 28 18:37:17 UTC 2020

Hi I was wondering if libvirt/KVM screens out a CPU's or Protected
Processor Identification Number? - "PPIN" is a universal hardware serial
number etched into the chip in the fab. [1]

I am currently allowing full host cpu passthrough to allow guests to use
spectre/meltdown mitigations. However as we are a privacy project, we
are looking to prevent obvious identity linkers like serial numbers from
being read by untrusted environments.

Apparentlt Intel has had it for years and its accessible with the mcelog
daemon.

[1]
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-PPIN-Processor-ID-Linux