How to perform an in-place upgrade for libvirt

Michal Prívozník mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 13:21:07 UTC 2020

On 31. 3. 2020 8:21, FuLong Wang wrote:
> Hello Experts,
>

> Is it possible to perform an in-place upgrade for libvirt.
>
> Assume, i have a CentOS 8 installation (choose server with GUI) with
> libvirt version 4.5.1 and i want to upgrade the libvirt to version
> 6.0.0, how to implement a perfect replacement for all the related files
> (libraries, header files, etc)?
>
> Does anybody here has the experience for this?

The way I usually go about this is:

1) download the .src.rpm for the libvirt package
2) yum-builddep libvirt.src.rpm

This installs all the build deps of libvirt. Then just download the
libvirt.tar.xz you want (or checkout the tag in the repo) and 'make
rpm'. Note, this will not contain RHEL-only patches. That is more
advanced topic.

BTW: I don't think I've seen 4.5.1 in CentOS, where did you get it from?

Michal