Unit libvirtd.service could not be found. on VM

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Wed May 13 11:07:44 UTC 2020

On 5/13/20 12:59 PM, Dana Elfassy wrote:
> Thanks, Michal,
> On my laptop I do have libguestfs and libvirt-daemon-qemu. both
> libvirtd.service and libvirtd.socket are running ok on my laptop
> I just realized I haven't mentioned - my vms intend to serve as hosts
> themselves, and that's why they, too, need to have libvirtd.service
> running on them.
> up to recently I didn't have such a problem when I installed a vm on my
> laptop - libvirtd.service was found on it. I don't know exactly what
> caused this to change. Maybe it has something to do with configurations/
> permissions of libvirt/ kvm?
> Earlier, I'm not sure how, I managed to have libvirtd.service on a vm I
> created. it wasn't running, but at least it was there. I'm not sure what
> I have changed, but now I'm getting the message that the service could
> not be found again

That sounds like a kickstart/distro problem. Libvirt itself does not
guarantee it is installed by default on a distribution. Either you need
to specify the correct group to install, or install packages yourself
after the installation is done. Configuring what SW is installed inside
guest is out of libvirt's scope, sorry.

Michal