libvirt object IVirtualBox is null

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Wed May 13 13:49:41 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:24:41AM -0300, claudia freitas wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using libvirt to manage virtual machines created with VirtualBox-6.0,
> however when I try to start, to shut down virsh vm I get the message of
> object IVirtualBox is null.
> However, if I leave the VirtualBox graphical interface open it works
> normally. Can anyone help or is experiencing the same problem?

That means the following code in libvirt is failing

    if (gVBoxAPI.UPFN.Initialize(vbox_driver) != 0)
        return -1;

    if (vbox_driver->vboxObj == NULL) {
        virReportError(VIR_ERR_INTERNAL_ERROR, "%s",
                       _("IVirtualBox object is null"));
        return -1;
    }

This says the VirtualBox SDK is failing to initialize.
I don't know enough about virtualbox to say what the likely cause would
be though.

Regards,
Daniel