Set hostname of guest during installation time

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Tue May 5 06:11:44 UTC 2020

On 3/30/2020 4:10 PM, Michal Prívozník wrote:
> On 30. 3. 2020 15:26, john doe wrote:

>>> Note that paths are different in Debian-based distros, so the correct
>>> ones in this case are actually
>>>
>>>    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_libvirt.so.2
>>>    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_libvirt_guest.so.2
>>>

>> I have upgraded that Buster host to Bullseye, so I have now a 6... version.
>> I have also the above two modules.
>>
>> I'm still not able to use 'libvirt_guest' though:
>>
>> --- Guest output (try06):
>>
>> root at try06:~# cat /etc/hostname
>> try06
>>
>> --- Host output (host):
>>
>> root at host:# grep hosts: /etc/ns*
>> hosts: libvirt_guest
>> root at host:# virsh net-dhcp-leases default
>>   Expiry Time           MAC address         Protocol   IP address
>>     Hostname   Client ID or DUID
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>   2020-03-30 16:03:41   52:54:00:d4:e6:f0   ipv4       192.168.122.137/24
>>    -          -
>>

>> root at host:# getent hosts try06; echo $?
>> 2
>>

>> What am I missing?
>
> Hold on. 'libvirt_guest' NSS plugin is supposed to translate libvirt
> names to IP addresses. For instance:
>
>    virsh start myDomain; ssh myDomain
>
> The 'libvirt' NSS plugin is supposed to translate hostnames as sent by
> guests to IP addresses. These two can be viewed as the following:
>
> libvirt_guest: virsh domifaddr --source lease $dom
>        libvirt: virsh net-dhcp-leases $net | grep $hostname
>
> And this is where it gets interesting. In your previous e-mails,
> net-dhcp-leases (aka 'libvirt' plugin) worked because the guest did send
> hostname when doing DHCP. Now it doesn't (see '-' under 'Hostname' in
> the output). Therefore, the 'libvirt' NSS plugin won't work.
>
> And 'libvirt_guest' translates names of guests as seen by libvirt, i.e.
> names you pass to virsh commands. These are unrelated to '/etc/hostname'
> within guest. But hopefully, you haven't renamed your guest since then
> and it is still named 'try06', that is virsh list --all produces 'try06'
> in the list. If this is all true, can you share the output of:
>
>    strace $(which getent) hosts try06

Thanks to the friendly feedback/support from Michal Privoznik and Andrea
Bolognani, I managed to get it working with the below command:

virt-install --name=try06 --pxe --os-variant=debian10 --network
network=default

What I think I mist while trying to implement the recommendation given
in here is that, if you change the network by doing 'virsh edit default'
the name of the interface in the guest might also change.

I don't understand why libvirt_guest won't work if a network bridge is used?

Also, from (1):

"virsh net-dhcp-leases $network
where $network iterates through
all running network..."

If I understand correctly, the below should list all running network:

$ virsh net-dhcp-leases $network
error: command 'net-dhcp-leases' requires <network> option

In my case, I substituted '$network' by 'default'.

1)  https://libvirt.org/nss.html#Internals

--
John Doe