Set hostname of guest during installation time

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue May 5 06:29:59 UTC 2020

On 5/5/20 8:11 AM, john doe wrote:
> On 3/30/2020 4:10 PM, Michal Prívozník wrote:

>>> I have upgraded that Buster host to Bullseye, so I have now a 6...
>>> version.
>>> I have also the above two modules.
>>>
>>> I'm still not able to use 'libvirt_guest' though:
>>>
>>> --- Guest output (try06):
>>>
>>> root at try06:~# cat /etc/hostname
>>> try06
>>>
>>> --- Host output (host):
>>>
>>> root at host:# grep hosts: /etc/ns*
>>> hosts: libvirt_guest
>>> root at host:# virsh net-dhcp-leases default
>>>   Expiry Time           MAC address         Protocol   IP address
>>>     Hostname   Client ID or DUID
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>   2020-03-30 16:03:41   52:54:00:d4:e6:f0   ipv4
>>> 192.168.122.137/24
>>>    -          -
>>>

>>> root at host:# getent hosts try06; echo $?
>>> 2
>>>

>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Hold on. 'libvirt_guest' NSS plugin is supposed to translate libvirt
>> names to IP addresses. For instance:
>>
>>    virsh start myDomain; ssh myDomain
>>
>> The 'libvirt' NSS plugin is supposed to translate hostnames as sent by
>> guests to IP addresses. These two can be viewed as the following:
>>
>> libvirt_guest: virsh domifaddr --source lease $dom
>>        libvirt: virsh net-dhcp-leases $net | grep $hostname
>>
>> And this is where it gets interesting. In your previous e-mails,
>> net-dhcp-leases (aka 'libvirt' plugin) worked because the guest did send
>> hostname when doing DHCP. Now it doesn't (see '-' under 'Hostname' in
>> the output). Therefore, the 'libvirt' NSS plugin won't work.
>>
>> And 'libvirt_guest' translates names of guests as seen by libvirt, i.e.
>> names you pass to virsh commands. These are unrelated to '/etc/hostname'
>> within guest. But hopefully, you haven't renamed your guest since then
>> and it is still named 'try06', that is virsh list --all produces 'try06'
>> in the list. If this is all true, can you share the output of:
>>
>>    strace $(which getent) hosts try06
>>

> Thanks to the friendly feedback/support from Michal Privoznik and Andrea
> Bolognani, I managed to get it working with the below command:
>
> virt-install --name=try06 --pxe --os-variant=debian10 --network
> network=default
>
> What I think I mist while trying to implement the recommendation given
> in here is that, if you change the network by doing 'virsh edit default'
> the name of the interface in the guest might also change.
>
> I don't understand why libvirt_guest won't work if a network bridge is
> used?

Because interface type='bridge' and type='network' are not the same. The
libvirt_guest plugin needs a list of MAC addresses because it tries to
find a match across libvirt domain name -> list of domain's MAC
addresses -> list of leases. And whenever a domain is started, all its
interfaces with type='network' will notify the corresponding network and
the code that handles libvirt networks will dump the MAC address into a
file for the NSS plugin to use. But, if plain type='bridge' is used then
all that is done is that the TAP is plugged into the bridge (which
ensures the connectivity), but does not notify the network which in turn
means that the MAC dumping code is not run and hence the NSS plugin
won't find a match.

Is there a reason why you are using interface type='bridge' with the
default network?

> Also, from (1):
>
> "virsh net-dhcp-leases $network
> where $network iterates through
> all running network..."
>
> If I understand correctly, the below should list all running network:
>
> $ virsh net-dhcp-leases $network
> error: command 'net-dhcp-leases' requires <network> option

This lists DHCP leases for given network. To list all running networks
you can use 'virsh net-list'.

> In my case, I substituted '$network' by 'default'.

It doesn't look like you did, otherwise you would either get leases or
an error that there is no network named "default".

# virsh net-dhcp-leases
error: command 'net-dhcp-leases' requires <network> option
# virsh net-dhcp-leases ""
error: Failed to get option 'network': Option argument is empty

# virsh net-dhcp-leases default
  Expiry Time           MAC address         Protocol   IP address
  Hostname   Client ID or DUID
  2020-05-05 09:01:11   52:54:00:a4:6f:91   ipv4       192.168.122.3/24
  fedora     01:52:54:00:a4:6f:91

Michal