Libvirt APIs for creating virtual networks

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Fri May 8 14:59:07 UTC 2020

On 5/7/20 2:18 PM, Santhosh Kumar Gunturu wrote:

> Does the libvirt has any capabilities to get the statistics of DHCP
> server ? How many packets received/sent ?
> Is there a way to get those statistics if the APIs are not available ?

libvirt spawns a dnsmasq instance for each network to handle DHCP
services, so libvirt itself doesn't see any of that traffic. A quick
search for "statistic" in the dnsmasq man page shows that when you send
the dnsmasq process a SIGUSR1, it will write a bung of statistics to the
system log, and that you can apparently also get some of the data via
sending a special dns request to the server. Just search for
"statistics" in  "man dnsmasq". I don't know if any of the information
they're logging is what you're after, but as far as I can see, that's
what is available and how to get to it.