Unit libvirtd.service could not be found. on VM

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 12 11:33:52 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 02:25:29PM +0300, Dana Elfassy wrote:
> Thanks, Daniel
> I verified I had libvirt-daemon rpm on my laptop and reloaded its units,
> but that didn't solve the issue. I then checked the vms-
> libvirt-daemon rpm was indeed missing on my vms. After I installed it &
> reloaded its unit files libvirtd.service was found, but as I started it,
> the error 'operation failed: pool 'default' already exists with uuid
> a42beb54-839e-437b-a48e-d06f6100205c' appeared again on my laptop.
> I'm not sure if I was supposed to install libvirt-daemon rpm on the vms? if
> it was needed - how do I resolve the error now? and any idea why it was
> missing? I never had to install it before
> if not - if you have any other thoughts/suggestions I'll be glad to hear :)

If virt-manager is connecting to the host OS, there's no reason to install
libvirtd in any guests VM.

The error message is telling you that the 'default' storage pool already
exists - "virsh pool-list" should show it.

THe existance of this error message in the logs is not in itself a problem.
It may just show that virt-manager is blindly trying to create the pool
even when it already exists.

Regards,
Daniel