macvtap direct

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Thu May 14 17:32:04 UTC 2020

On 5/13/20 12:52 AM, Subhendu Ghosh wrote:
> Hi
>
> Couple of questions around macvtap direct usage:
>
> 1) is the document here current?
> https://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#examplesDirect

Yes. None of that has changed in any major way in many years.

> I have been able to get host to guest network traffic without any
> special configuration or switch since Fedora 28 when I first started
> using it. Using <forward mode=vepa> requires switch port mirroring, but
> just using <forward mode=bridge> doesn't.

If that is the case, then either your guest and host have a secondary
network connection, or your switch is mirroring traffic and you just
didn't know about it. The inability to do direct host<->guest
communication is inherent in the design of macvtap interfaces.

> 2) do any of the language libraries make assumptions that libvirt
> networks must have a <bridge name=xx> attribute? Foreman's Ruby
> interface to libvirt errors out with attempting to build a VM on a KVM
> host with a network defined with <forward mode=bridge>
> https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/25890

The 2nd line in the log attached to that issue report says this:

 >Call to virNetworkGetBridgeName failed: internal error: network
'macvtap-net' does not have a bridge name.

So, your application (or whatever this "Foreman's Ruby interface to
libvirt" is) has called virNetworkGetBridgeName() (whatever it's called
in the Ruby bindings), and since you have a macvtap network, which has
no bridge device, libvirt sent back an error. You need to find whatever
in your code is calling virNetworkGetBridgeName().