Set hostname of guest during installation time

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Thu Nov 5 08:30:18 UTC 2020

On 10/19/2020 6:03 PM, Michal Prívozník wrote:
> On 10/19/20 5:59 PM, john doe wrote:

>>> On the other hand, users might want to set it to something else. So we
>>> really should have a separate argument for that. Anyway, I've reported
>>> it to virt-install developers:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager/issues/94
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> This bug is now RFI, is there anything that I can do to move it along?

Sadly, I don't speak python.

I install my guests using pxe, the guest are connected to a bridge on
the host.
Everytime I install a new guest, I first need to access the dhcp server
to set the hostname with the corresponding mac address.
In the meantime, is there an other approach that would let me install
and set the guest's hostname on the same machine?

In other words, how can I set the hostname when using a bridge on the
host where virt-install is used.

> I believe that virt-manager developers are swamped with some other work,
> so writing up patches looks like your best bet.
>

>> Will this option be of any help if installing a VM using PXE?
>>

> Yeah, I don't think that installation method gets in the way.

I'm looking forward to be able to take advantage of this option to set
the hostname while using pxe.

--
John Doe