image works in native but not in vm when cpu mode='host-passthrough' is set

daggs daggs at gmx.com
Tue Nov 17 10:32:29 UTC 2020

Greetings.

I have an image I've created with a bunch of chost flags which works on my machine when it comes to native boot.
if I take that same image into a vm managed via libvirt, I get kernel panic.
I'd assume that something is missing from my vm config, question is what and what I can do about it?
here is the flags part of lscpu in native and vm: https://dpaste.com/3TR8QJ5G8
and the vm's xml: https://dpaste.com/984JX4LUQ
if I build the image with the default flags (march=x86-64), the vm boots well.
my new chost is -O2 -pipe -march=skylake -mabm -mno-adx -mno-avx -mno-avx2 -mno-bmi -mno-bmi2 -mno-f16c -mno-fma -mno-xsave -mno-xsavec -mno-xsaveopt -mno-xsaves -mno-sgx
the cpu is Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4560 @ 3.50GHz

thoughts?

Thanks,

Dagg.