Encrypting boot partition Libvirt not showing the OS booting up

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 15:14:24 UTC 2020

On 10/12/20 4:27 PM, john doe wrote:
> On 10/12/2020 4:09 PM, Peter Krempa wrote:

>>> Solving things privately doesn't help the community.
>>
>> Additionally it doesn't help solving the problem, since it's now opaque
>> to others what the problem might be.

>> I've suggested this as the outputs I've got privately hinted that the
>> console (as in virsh console) didn't get to asking for the password,
>> while the manually-started-qemu did.
>>
>> Thus the problem actually doesn't have to do with encryption or
>> wahatver, but the console doesn't plainly work.

>>> Try adding:
>>>
>>>      <loader type='rom'>/usr/share/seabios/bios.bin</loader>

Darn, this should have been sgabios: /usr/share/sgabios/sgabios.bin
but if your seabios is new enough (v1.11.0 and newer) then this is not
needed as seabios itself is capable of serial interface. And looking at
earlier e-mails in the thread you have v1.12.0-1 you you're good and
don't need to add <loader/> at all.

But honestly, I don't know why you are not getting the console. Could it
be that you are getting the console and the qemu is waiting for your
input, i.e. what happens if you type in the password?

Michal