Building libvirt library without libvirtd or virsh

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 07:38:22 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 04:50:26PM -0700, Román González wrote:
>Hello there,
>
>I'm trying to play with musl and libvirt to see if I'm able to build a
>libvirt client binary without dynamic lib dependencies. I have two
>questions:
>
>1) to your knowledge, is this exercise futile?
>
>2) Do you know if there is a way to *only* compile the library bits?
>
>I want to reduce the number of dependencies in the build, and only
>construct the libvirt libraries, not libvirtd nor virsh.

You can disable building the daemon with -Ddriver_libvirtd=disabled (if I am
reading the code correctly).  I do not think there is something similar for the
clients, but I might be wrong.  Pavel (Cc'd) would definitely know or at least
be able to find it out more easily.  If it is not possible now then it should
not be that difficult to add such option, I think.