Building libvirt library without libvirtd or virsh

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 11:55:32 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 11:18:08AM -0700, Román González wrote:

> > If you want to do a minimal build of libvirt you can run meson with
> > --auto-features=disabled which will disable most of the features and you
> > can explicitly enable only the things that you want to use (this is what
> > most distributions are doing when building packages). I just noticed
> > that there are some build options where this doesn't work so I'll post
> > patches to fix them.
>

> When you happen to do this, can you share a link where I can download the
> patches?

They are now pushed to master branch.

> The last part I have to ask what do you mean by "without dynamic lib
> > dependencies"? If you mean that libvirt.so should be statically linked
> > that is not currently possible. We would have to add option to make it
> > possible and update all dependency() and find_library() calls in all
> > meson.build files to look only for static libraries.
> >

> Uh, I wonder what the meson option
>
> default_library         shared
> >                        [shared, static, both]
> >

> is for?

You can read more about it here [1] but basically it applies to
libraries build within the project. In libvirt all internal libraries
are build as static.

> In addition I think we should add build options which would allow users
> > to disable tests, documentation, examples and other bits that end-users
> > don't have to use.
> >

> That makes sense.

I did not introduce option to disable examples because that is probably
pointless but there are already pushed new options for documentation and
tests.

> > If you want to do a minimal build of libvirt you can run meson with
> > --auto-features=disabled which will disable most of the features and you
> > can explicitly enable only the things that you want to use (this is what
> > most distributions are doing when building packages). I just noticed

I need to correct myself as this statement was not true. RPM packages
use --auto-features=enabled by default.

Pavel

[1] <https://mesonbuild.com/Reference-manual.html#library>