Failed to get udev device for syspath '/sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id'

Mathieu Tarral mathieu.tarral at protonmail.com
Fri Oct 9 12:32:10 UTC 2020

Le lundi 28 septembre 2020 19:04, Jim Fehlig <jfehlig at suse.com> a écrit :

> On 9/28/20 5:21 AM, Mathieu Tarral wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm facing an issue with libvirt and the LIBXL driver, failing when searching for DMI data in /sys.
> > info : libvirt version: 5.0.0, package: 4+deb10u1 (Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org Thu, 05 Dec 2019 00:22:14 +0100)
> > error : udevGetDMIData:1719 : internal error: Failed to get udev device for syspath '/sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id' or '/sys/class/dmi/id'
> > error : libxlDriverConfigNew:1803 : Unable to configure libxl's memory management parameters
>
> Ján already pointed out this is the important error, which usually means the
> xencommons service is not running and the xen tooling has not been initialized.
> Do you see a "Domain-0" using xen's xl tool? E.g. 'xl list'?

I can run sudo xl list, and see the Domain-0

I have a custom Xen compiled from source installed, via the xen-upstream debian package generated by the makefile.
I think there might be a conflict with a Xen version that I installed before from Debian packages.

Also, I can see that the xencommons service could not start because of a PID issue.

I removed the xen-upstream package, and reinstalled xen-system-amd64 Debian package, rebooted, and now the libvirt connection works.

The thing, I would like to run the latest Xen, and at the same time, have libvirt to manage my VMs with virt-manager.
The main issue is that libvirt's xen driver depends on xen libs which are conflicting with my xen upstream installation.

I don't know how to solve this.

At least libvirt can start now, but not with Xen upsteam.

Thanks for your help !