Failed to get udev device for syspath '/sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id'

Ján Tomko jtomko at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 12:53:11 UTC 2020

On a Monday in 2020, Mathieu Tarral wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm facing an issue with libvirt and the LIBXL driver, failing when searching for DMI data in /sys.
>
>info : libvirt version: 5.0.0, package: 4+deb10u1 (Guido Günther <agx at sigxcpu.org> Thu, 05 Dec 2019 00:22:14 +0100)
>error : udevGetDMIData:1719 : internal error: Failed to get udev device for syspath '/sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id' or '/sys/class/dmi/id'

This error is set and logged in a void fuction - it is not the one
blocking the driver initialization.

>error : libxlDriverConfigNew:1803 : Unable to configure libxl's memory management parameters

This is the important error, calling libxl_get_free_memory failed for
some reason:
https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/blob/v5.0.0/src/libxl/libxl_conf.c#L1800

Unfortunately, I'm not actually familiar enough with Xen to offer
further suggestions.

>error : virStateInitialize:662 : Initialization of LIBXL state driver failed: internal error: Failed to get udev device for syspath '/sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id' or '/sys/class/dmi/id'

Here the caller is picking up the first error instead of the second
because the second one was logged via a different API.

Jano