could not start libvirt service

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Tue Apr 13 10:59:03 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 03:56:57PM +0530, shafnamol N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using *CentOS 8*. I have built *libvirt* with the following method:
>
> $ meson build -Dsystem=true
> $ ninja -C build
> $ ninja -C build install

I would recommend to never to this again. In general installing upstream
projects into any distribution like this is asking for a lot of trouble.
The upstream project can change files owned by other packages and break
them and running yum update can override anything the upstream project
installed.

Ideally you want to create in case of CentOS RPM package and install
that instead. If that's not possible you should install upstream project
into /usr/local/ directory which distribution packages usually don't
touch at all.

In case of libvirt you can do the following steps:

    meson build
    ninja -C build dist
    rpmbuild -tb build/meson-dist/libvirt-{version}.tar.xz

The resulting RPMs will be in ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/{arch}/

you can install all of them but you can also install only what you are
interested in.

> But the problem is when i started it
>
> # systemctl start libvirtd
> Job for libvirtd.service failed because the control process exited
> with error code.
> See "systemctl status libvirtd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
>
> i tried to get the status of libvirt
>
> # systemctl status libvirtd
>
> libvirtd.service - Virtualization daemon
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/libvirtd.service; enabled;
> vendor preset: enabled)
>    Active: failed (Result: exit-code)
>
> What will be the problem?
>
> Thanks for the help in advanc....

There is not enough info to figure out what the problem is. Including
the output of 'journalctl -xe' as suggested would be useful.

Pavel