external snapshot create error

Eyüp Hakan Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 01:19:31 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I have been creating external snapshots of my KVM/QEMU VMs for more than a
year on a host machine that runs Manjaro Linux. The current version of
libvirt I am using is 1:7.1.0-3. I just noticed that the script I am using
for this purpose has been failing. More specifically the command below
returns with the error message indicated underneath the command:

sudo virsh snapshot-create-as --no-metadata --domain myVM myVM-state
--diskspec hda,file=overlay.qcow2 --disk-only --atomic
error: XML document failed to validate against schema: Unable to validate
doc against /usr/share/libvirt/schemas/domainsnapshot.rng
Extra element disks in interleave
Element domainsnapshot failed to validate content

I also tried different versions of the command above with similar results,
such as:
sudo virsh snapshot-create-as mvVM --no-metadata myVM-state --diskspec
hda,snapshot=external,file=overlay.qcow2 --disk-only --atomic

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Hakan Duran