Disk extend during migration

Vojtech Juranek vjuranek at redhat.com
Mon Aug 2 12:20:44 UTC 2021

Hi,
as a follow-up of BZ #1883399 [1], we are reviewing vdsm VM migration flows and
solve few follow-up bugs, e.g. BZ #1981079 [2]. I have couple of questions
related to libvirt:

* if we run disk extend during migration, it can happen that migration finishes
sooner than disk extend. In such case we will try to set disk threshold on
already stopped VM (we handle libvirt event that VM was stopper, but due to
Python GIL there can be a delay between obtaining appropriate signal from
libvirt  and handling it). In such case we get libvirt
VIR_ERR_OPERATION_INVALID when setting disk threshold. Is it safe to
catch this exception and ignore it or it's thrown for various reasons and the
root cause can be something else than stopped VM?

* after disk extend, we resume VM if it's stopped (usually due to running out
of the disk space). Is it safe to do so also when we do the disk extend during
migration and VM can be stopped because it was already migrated? I.e. can we
assume that libvirt will handle such situation and won't resume VM in such
case? We do some checks before resume and try to avoid situation when we
resume migrated VM, but there can be some corner cases and it would be useful
to know if we can rely in libvirt to prevent resuming VM in unwanted cases
like one when VM is stopper after migration.

Thanks
Vojta

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1883399
[2] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1981079