issues with vm after upgrade

daggs daggs at gmx.com
Sat Aug 28 10:56:49 UTC 2021

> Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 at 7:53 PM
> From: "Laine Stump" <laine at redhat.com>
> To: "daggs" <daggs at gmx.com>
> Cc: "Martin Kletzander" <mkletzan at redhat.com>, libvirt-users at redhat.com

as mentioned below, here is the xml of the new vm but with the sound problem: https://dpaste.com/BB9EDY6BK
the relevant entry is at https://dpaste.com/BB9EDY6BK#line-130
you can see that the bdf is 08:01.0, note that there is no device defined at 08:00.0.
I may be wrong and there is no need for such device but if I run lspci on both my linux system, I don't see device with such scenario.
note that the new vm was created using virt-manager, so the address wasn't allocated by me

> > I'd assume that if libvirt defines a device on a specific bdf, the guest will not change it.
>
> That's not exactly true - the bus "number" in libvirt isn't given to
> qemu as an actual number, but as an alphanumeric device id (called
> "alias name" in libvirt XML). QEMU doesn't have any concept of "bus
> number", because (afaiu) there is no way to convey such info to the
> guest firmware/OS; instead, QEMU creates a topology of interconnected
> controllers, the firmware and/or OS traverses this topology and assigns
> numbers to the encountered controllers as it sees fit.
so bottom line, libvirt defines the "order" of he device and qemu creates however he wants but maintains libvirt's "order"?

> So you may have PCI controllers with indexes 1, 2, and 3 in your libvirt
> config, but those will be described on the QEMU commandline as
> controllers "pcie.1", "pcie.2", and "pcie.3":
>
> -device
> pcie-root-port,port=0x8,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x1
> \
> -device pcie-root-port,port=0x9,chassis=2,id=pci.2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x1 \
> -device pcie-root-port,port=0xa,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x2 \
>
> and when a PCI device is attached to one of these controllers, the QEMU
> commandline uses the id name of the controller, not a bus number:
>
> -device vfio-pci,host=0000:05:00.0,bus=pci.1,multifunction=on,addr=0x0 \
> -device vfio-pci,host=0000:05:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0.0x1 \
>
> It is a nice coincidence that the OSes I've seen happen to traverse the
> PCI topology in a manner that results in the guest OS numbering the
> buses the same as they are numbered in libvirt XML that has had PCI
> addresses auto-assigned by libvirt, but it is trivial to make this *not*
> happen. For example, if you changed the config so that the bus with
> index='2' (pcie.2) was attached to pcie.0, addr=0x1.0x1 (i.e. change its
> PCI address to <address type='pci' bus='0' slot='1' function='1'/>" ,
> and the bus with index='3' was attached to pcie.0, addr=0x1.0x2, then
> the guest would number "pcie.2" as bus 1, and "pcie.1" as bus 2.
>
> And of course the guest OS is free to traverse the controller topology
> in any manner it wants, so the bus numbering in the guest could be
> different even if the libvirt-generated QEMU commandline was the same.
>
> *HOWEVER*, slot (device) and function number are specified on the QEMU
> commandline numerically, and they will appear in the guest exactly as
> they are in the libvirt XML.
>

> > infact, over the last 10 years I've booted thousand of systems both bare metal and visualized and never encountered such scenario.
> > that said, it might be a bug in qemu. >
> > what I did saw is that on the old vm in guest, after the upgrade the sound card was defined as a function of the scsi virtblk controller and the new vm placed
> > it as a function of non existent device.
>
> I would be very interested in seeing the libvirt XML, QEMU commandline,
> and guest-side output of "lspci" for this. I can't think of any way this
> could happen without a serious bug *somewhere* (or manual intervention
> in the PCI addresses in the guest).
of the system with the sound issue? if so, I'll need to digg in my logs, the most problematic part is the guest lspci

> >> On the topic of having a dmi-to-pci-bridge show up in your XML: I don't
> >> remember what versions the changes were in (it was at least a year or
> >> two ago), but only a fairly old version of libvirt woud do that - 1)
> >> recent libvirt will assume that any hostdev PCI device is a PCIe device,
> >> so it will add a pcie-root-port and assign the hostdev device to slot 0
> >> of that root-port, and even before that 2) we switched from using
> >> dmi-to-pci-bridge to using pcie-to-pci-bridge quite some time ago as well.
> > as stated in the original mail, the issue started after a major version upgrade of both libvirt and qemu,
> > I'm currently using latest stable afaik.
>
> Right. If your guest was defined the first time using a much older
> libvirt, then devices would have been assigned to an auto-created
> dmi-to-pci-bridge at that time, and if you don't change (or remove) the
> PCI addresses of the devices or the bridge, then that will all be
> maintained whenever you restart the guest, ragardless of libvirt
> upgrades. But this again points out that the guest-side PCI addresses
> (which are determined by the PCI addresses in the libvirt config) should
> not change when upgrading libvirt (NOTE: 1) libvirt will only
> auto-assign a new PCI address to a device if it doesn't already have a
> PCI address assigned to it, and 2) libvirt *never* auto-assigns a non-0
> function except when adding a pcie-root-port (and in that case it will
> always first assign something to function 0))
then I wonder how the upgrade broke the system, in contrast, the other vm I'm running (router with 5 nics in pt) worked out of the box

> [...]
> >> devices) assigned to an automatically-added dmi-to-pci-bridge, then your
> >> libvirt version is severely out of date.
> > here are the version I'm using:
> > # emerge --search app-emulation/libvirt app-emulation/qemu
> >
> > [ Results for search key : app-emulation/libvirt ]
> > Searching...
> >
> > *  app-emulation/libvirt
> >        Latest version available: 7.5.0
> >        Latest version installed: 7.5.0
> >        Size of files: 9749 KiB
> >        Homepage:      https://www.libvirt.org/ https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/
> >        License:       LGPL-2.1
> >
> > [ Applications found : 1 ]
> >

> > [ Results for search key : app-emulation/qemu ]
> > Searching...
> >
> > *  app-emulation/qemu
> >        Latest version available: 6.0.0-r52
> >        Latest version installed: 6.0.0-r52
> >        Size of files: 22724 KiB
> >        Homepage:      http://www.qemu.org http://www.linux-kvm.org
> >        License:       GPL-2 LGPL-2 BSD-2
> >
> > [ Applications found : 1 ]
> >

> >> On 8/11/21 2:53 PM, daggs wrote:
> >>   >> From: "daggs" <daggs at gmx.com>
> >>   >>> From: "Martin Kletzander" <mkletzan at redhat.com>
> >>   >>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 03:09:34PM +0200, daggs wrote:
> >>   >>>> I can diff the original xml with the new one to see the diffs and
> >> post them here if you wish
> >>   >>>>
> >>   >>>
> >>   >>> Would be nice to see if there are any differences.  The newly created
> >>   >>> one works then?
> >>   >>
> >>   >> I'll sent it later today
> >>   >>
> >>   >
> >>   > here: https://dpaste.com/5VBUU8Z9W

> >> That's an interesting choice :-). You could have just put it on function
> >> 0 of some other unused slot (or a non-0 function of the slot the GPU is
> >> assigned to). 00:1f is used for integrated devices on the Q35 chipset -
> >> it's nice that QEMU's emulation code was written to allowing adding more
> >> devices on that slot, but I wouldn't have been surprised if it had
> >> caused problems...
> > 10 years of working in a virtualization company has taught me that somethings, keeping the pci structure close as much as possible
> > to the original is the best way to go.
> > that is why I chose it a s func, it is a func on the host mahcine.
>
> It wasn't a function of a slot that also contains integrated chipset
> devices though.... Oh, wait. According to the XML you reference down
> below, it looks like the audio device you're assigning to the guest *is
> itself* integrated on the chipset of the host, is that right?
>
> (It's interesting that this function of slot 1F is apparently in a
> different IOMMU group than the other functions of slot 1F. I would have
> guessed they would all be in the same IOMMU group, resulting in an
> inability to assign this one function to the guest without at least
> disabling the other devices on slot 1F (by binding them to the vfio-pci
I'm using the pcie acs override patch to split the soundcard and the nic as they belong in different vms.

> >> Well, if your XML had a device assigned to a non-0 function of a slot
> >> and no device in function 0 of that slot, it would have failed to work
> >> previously as well (my recollection is that in this case it's more a
> >> problem of the guest OS not probing non-0 functions when there is
> >> nothing on function 0, and not with anything done by QEMU).
> >>

> > here is the xml of the machine after I've recreated it, it worked but no sound: https://dpaste.com/BB9EDY6BK
> > I used virt-manager. note that the sound card pt is placed as a func in bus 0x8 which doesn't exists.
>
> This doesn't show any devices assigned to non-0 functions in the guest
> (which is the part of what you said in previous messages that sounded
> wrong to me). (except for the SATA controller, which is listed in the
> libvirt config only for informational purposes, as it is hardcoded into
> the basic q35 virtual machine and can't be removed).
>
> What is does show is that there is a device a 00:1F.3 *on the host* that
> is being assigned to 08:01.00 (slot 1, function 0 of the
> pcie-pci-bridge) in the guest. I'm guessing this is the audio device?
> Also in this version of the XML, there is no longer a dmi-to-pci-bridge,
> but there is instead a pcie-to-pci-bridge, implying that you've
> redefined the guest config, resulting in PCI address auto-assignment
> being re-run (at least relative to the config you referenced last week
> that had a dmi-to-pci-bridge).
>
> It's possible that the audio device's driver just doesn't like the
> device being on a standard PCI (i.e. non-PCIe) slot in the guest
> somehow, since it's a chipset-integrated PCIe device on the host. I
> haven't heard of that being the case in the past, but it's possible.
>

> Anyway, at this point I've lost track of all the changes that have
> happened (your update entailed much more than just updating the libvirt
> package - your guest config was also changed/redefined) so I don't know
> how much more effort should be expended with post-mortem, especially
> since you now have it working. One thing that I would note is that we
> should probably be auto-assigning integrated chipset devices to
> pcie-root-ports rather than to a pci-bridge (I thought we already did
> that, but I can see how we might not).

I'll try to sum it up, prior to upgrade, both vms worked.
after the upgrade, only the router vm worked, the streamer one started and never ran,
I've started experimenting with qemu cmdline invocation, I've got to a situation where the vm was up and running with every thing defined beside the nic link active.
this lead me to believe that the issue is with my config.
I've tried to downgrade to previous versions however the vm still didn't booted.
I've then reached the assumption that following the upgrade, the vm's xml was changed. because I didn't had the previous xml, I cannot verify.
my next step was to recreate the vm's xml using virt-manager under the assumption that new config defined by virt-manager will work.
that was partially correct, after the recreation was completed, the vm booted however the hdmi sound wasn't found.
this sent me back to the qemu cmdline as I had a working cmd line invocation.
I've started adding and removing entries from the generated qemu line to the working cmd and found out that the issue was caused because of the -nodefaults switch in qemu.
this lead me to inspect the pci tree created and found out that in my working scenario, the sound card was placed in 00:02.0 and in the malfunctioning scenario, the sound card was placed at 02:01.0 (got screen shots of it)
this lead me to the conclusion that the pci config might cause it, moving it to 1f.x worked

Thanks,

Dagg