Upgrading the host

Marcin Struzak kunci at struzak.com
Fri Feb 12 01:10:17 UTC 2021

Hello--

I'm planning on upgrading the OS on my host machine by doing manual
re-installation, which will trigger an upgrade of libvirt from 1.1.3 to
6.1.0.  Hardware, storage volumes & paths, etc., will be the same after
upgrade.

I was going to redefine & start everything from .xml files, starting
with the network

     virsh net-define <network XML>
     virsh net-autostart <network>
     virsh net-start <network>

and following with all the guests

     virsh define <domain XML>
     virsh autostart <domain>
     virsh start <domain>

I have the following questions:

 1. Do I need to generate XML dumps manually, or is it ok to use the
    ones from host's /etc/libvirt?
 2. Do I need to define & start storage pools & volumes explicitly, or
    will they be picked up from domain definitions?
 3. Anything else I should worry about or prepare ahead?

--Marcin