Upgrading the host

Marcin Struzak kunci at struzak.com
Wed Feb 17 01:59:34 UTC 2021

On 2/16/2021 1:02 AM, Erik Skultety wrote:
> [...]
> Needless to say, if you're backing up /etc/libvirt/<whatever> make sure
> libvirtd is down first, so that all the settings are properly dumped by the
> daemon to the respective XMLs.
>
> Erik

Absolutely!  Not concerned about downtime here, just that after the
upgrade everything comes back up like before.

Speaking of settings dumped into XMLs, why are the files in
/etc/libvirt/qemu ever so slightly different from a manual dump using
virsh dumpxml & friends?  E.g., for a domain I have a section

<resource>
   <partition>/machine</partition>
</resource>

<alias ... /> entries for all devices, a tty attribute & <source ... />
for console, etc., in the manual dump only?

--Marcin