how to build a github release tarball

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Wed Jul 14 14:44:43 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 08:44:52PM +0800, Jiatong Shen wrote:
>Hello community,
>
>      I am trying to figure out a way to build a release tarball like
>https://github.com/libvirt/libvirt/releases?after=v6.2.0, for libvirt
>6.0.0, but don't know how.
>Could anyone teach me how to package it? thank you.

If you look at https://libvirt.org/downloads.html then there is a link
to release tarballs: https://libvirt.org/sources/

If you want to build it yourself, then something along the lines of
`meson build && ninja -C build dist` should do, but it should not be
needed.

Otherwise the tarball provided by github is just a snapshot of the git
tree at the point in time of the tag and build needs to be done the same
way as building from git.

Did that answer your question?

Martin