how to build a github release tarball

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Thu Jul 15 08:16:16 UTC 2021

[re-adding the list]

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 01:25:02PM +0800, Jiatong Shen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 5:54 AM Jiatong Shen <yshxxsjt715 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > thank you very much for reply. but what should I do if I want to
> > build release tarball myself (for 6.0.0..)? I would like to backport some
> > features
> > to 6.0.0..
>
> hmm. it looks like `make -j3 dist` could produce a tarball for 6.0.0.. Is
> it the right
> approach?

Yes, if your goal is to create a release archive for libvirt 6.0.0
with some patches on top[1] then the best way to go about it is to
clone the repo, branch off the v6.0.0 tag, cherry-pick the changes
you're interested in and then generate the archive using 'make
distcheck'.

[1] You could have told us this in the first place instead of asking
    a more generic question for which a different answer was more
    appropriate ;)