how to build a github release tarball

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Wed Jul 14 15:56:44 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 04:44:43PM +0200, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 08:44:52PM +0800, Jiatong Shen wrote:
> > Hello community,
> >
> >      I am trying to figure out a way to build a release tarball like
> > https://github.com/libvirt/libvirt/releases?after=v6.2.0, for libvirt
> > 6.0.0, but don't know how.
> > Could anyone teach me how to package it? thank you.
>
> If you look at https://libvirt.org/downloads.html then there is a link
> to release tarballs: https://libvirt.org/sources/

This is definitely the way to go.

> If you want to build it yourself, then something along the lines of
> `meson build && ninja -C build dist` should do, but it should not be
> needed.

libvirt 6.0.0 was still using autotools ;)

> Otherwise the tarball provided by github is just a snapshot of the git
> tree at the point in time of the tag and build needs to be done the same
> way as building from git.

GitHub / GitLab "releases" are somewhere between git snapshots and
proper release tarballs in terms of contents, and for projects such
as libvirt they are basically unusable - the build process will break
in interesting ways very quickly. Pretend they don't exist and grab a
proper, signed source tarball from the location Martin pointed you to
instead.