Updating dnsmasq options with virsh net-update

Alex Crawford crawford at redhat.com
Wed Mar 17 17:19:02 UTC 2021

I'm trying to take advantage of libvirt's support for passing through
options to dnsmasq
<https://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#elementsNamespaces>, but I'm having
trouble getting it to take effect. I have a network already created and I'm
trying to use net-update to add the options, but it's not clear to me what
section I should specify. By the way, is there a good way to list the
available sections? I've been resorting to reading the code
<https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/blob/18d0f2f9569edf3c26d912a7d8974a54bb32eee9/include/libvirt/libvirt-network.h#L158-175>.
Working in a different direction, I tried using net-edit to make the
changes but they seem to have been silently discarded:

    $ virsh -c qemu:///system net-edit crawford-libvirt-67v2h
    Network crawford-libvirt-67v2h XML configuration edited.
    $ virsh -c qemu:///system net-dumpxml crawford-libvirt-67v2h | grep
--count <my changes>
    0

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or how this feature was intended to
be used? Thank you.

-Alex