virsh snapshot-create-as with quiesce option times out

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 08:42:16 UTC 2021

On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 18:12:06 -0300, David Wells wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm still working on the live backup of a couple vm's and what happens most
> of the times es that when I execute virsh with the snapshot-create-as with
> the --quiesce option the process finishes with an error that reads
> > error: Timed out during operation: cannot acquire state change lock
>
> I tried turning up the debug level but found nothing that appears to be of
> interest and I can connect successfully to the qemu guest agent since the
> following command returns the correct value
> > sudo /usr/sbin/virsh domfsinfo slackware-current
> > Mountpoint Name     Type     Target
> > /                                    vda1     ext4     vda
>
> I also tried running the qemu-ga agent on the guest with debugging enabled
> and when I issue this last command I can see the agent talking to the host
> but when I issue the quiesce option the guest agent shows nothing at all.
>
> Is this by any chance a known bug? Is there something obvious I'm missing?
> What else can I provide to help debug this issue?

It's not a known bug. Ideally post the libvirtd debug log. Make sure you
are starting the VM fresh when doing so to clear out any prior state.

Post the log either here or file an issue:

https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/new?issue%5Bassignee_id%5D=&issue%5Bmilestone_id%5D=

Please observe our guideline on filing proper bug reports:

 https://libvirt.org/bugs.html#quality
 https://libvirt.org/kbase/debuglogs.htm