infinite lease time

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue Mar 23 12:54:54 UTC 2021

On 3/22/21 4:01 PM, Francesc Guasch wrote:
> Hi. First of all thanks for this great project and specially
> for keeping the Perl library.
>
> I need to keep the IP address of the virtual machines the same
> as long as possible. dnsmasq provides a setting for lease time.
> It can be set to infinite, but not from within libvirt.
>
> I found this patch from 2016.
>  >
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2016-October/msg00561.html
>
> But it looks like it never made to libvirt.

That particular patch no, but another approach did:

https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/commit/97a0aa246799c97d0a9ca9ecd6b4fd932ae4756c

It's part of the v6.3.0 release.

> Some time ago I made it work changing dnsmasq/default.conf.
> Then we made it immutable with chattr. This no longer works
> because libvirt refuses to start dnsmasq unless it can write
> to it. Fair enough.
>
> I've seen I can add manual IP addresses as stated here:
>
>    https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking
>
> This is ok, but it would be a considerable amount of work,
> requiring lots of manual labour.
>
> Is there a way to set the lease time from libvirt ?

Well, if you don't really need static IPs but a stable way to address
guests, then NSS plugin might help:

   https://libvirt.org/nss.html

Michal