Libvirt + Debian Live = Heart Attack

Elias Mobery eliasmobery at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:25:10 UTC 2021

Hi everyone!

I've built a Debian Live ISO with packages qemu and libvirt to run a VM in
the live environment.

The guest images are placed in  /var/lib/libvirt/images and 2GB each.

Everything works great, except for one issue.

When starting a VM, libvirt automatically issues a chown command to the
images, changing ownership.

This results in a copy of the images being created in
/run/live/overlay/rw/var/lib/libvirt/images

I don't want these copies to be made but can't stop it.

I've tried editing qemu.conf user/group, dynamic ownership etc. without any
luck.

Is there a way to STOP libvirt from changing the ownership of these images?